YILING HUNG, EDEhttps://yilinghung.com
A Storytelling Food Tour In Your Neighbourhood
Foreign Body, Foreign Story, Foreign Place
Food plays a role in shaping the sense of belonging. For a migrant, eating food from home is more than filling up the stomach, but also, through eating together, a community can be formed within which people have a shared memory and experience. It seems like ""consuming home food"" might separate the migrant community from the local community, but in YiLing’s view, it's actually not. Through making the home food in the host country, a migrant will become familiar with the local supermarkets or grocery stores since not all the proper ingredients can be found in the foreign grocery stores. A migrant learns the new environment and the new environment also shapes this person's behaviours at the same time. In this ongoing cycle of familiarising and being shaped, a migrant slowly dwells into this new place.
This project is a one-on-one tour which will take place in your neighbourhood. While walking through different grocery stores to find ingredients to make Taiwanese dishes, artist YiLing will share her personal stories linked to those dishes.
Select the dishes that you would like to hear more of the stories behind, and YiLing will customise a unique storytelling food tour for you.
Minimum order: 2 stories
🔥 PROMO OFFER 🔥
Enter PROMO CODE with your order to receive an extra tour with a short personal story about "one specific drink".
Painting / Oil on canvas with frame / 43 x 33 cm / 2020
DISHES WITH LONG STORIES
A personal story of 20 minutes
Price 10,00 €
1. Lǔ-Ròu (Stewed Pork Belly in Soy Sauce) - I still vividly remember the smell in my mother's kitchen when she was making this dish. It's a mixture of star anise, soy sauce, brown sugar and the grilled pork belly. I always couldn't resist ... ... ...
2. Xián-Zhōu (Salty Rice Porridge) - When I was a Bachelor student, often we had to work till very late at the studio. Salty rice porridge was the best choice for night food as this dish is generally warm, healthy and not so heavy. Around my university there was a 24/7 food place selling only rice porridge, ... ... ...
3. Zhēng-Bái-Chāng-Yú (Steam Silver Pomfret Fish) - Sitting with other 10 strangers around a big round table, as a kid I was always feeling uneasy to join my parents to this kind of social occasion - a wedding lunch ... ... ...
DISHES WITH MIDDLE-LENGTH STORIES
A personal story of 10 minutes
Price 7,50 €
1. Xián-Sū-Jī (Fried Chicken Taiwanese Style) - Four o'clock in the afternoon, already a long queue of customers is waiting for the food stand to open. A man in his 50s arrived. He switched on the lights of the stall - a white board with red letters written ""KARA crispy fried chicken"" ... ... ...
2. É-Zǐ-Jiān (Oyster Omelette) - My grandparents from my mother's side live in a small village close to the sea. It's a fishing village. Every time we visit the grandparents means there will also be a nice meal with lots of seafood dishes at a restaurant owned by my uncle's friend ... ... ...
3. Shuǐ-Jiǎo (Dumpling) - ""One portion of shrimp dumplings and one soup, please!"" I orally placed my order and walked inside the shop. This food place only offers two flavors of dumplings and one type of soup ... ... ...
DISHES WITH SHORT STORIES
A personal story of 7 minutes
Price 5,00 €
1. Shuāng-Bāo-Tāi (Fried Dough Sprinkle with Sugar) - My family visited temples quite often for religious ceremonies and rituals. As a child, I didn't really enjoy the ritual itself, but the reason I always joined was because of those delicious snacks that I could buy from the food stalls outside of the temple ...
2. Tāng-Yuán (Sweet Soup with Sticky Rice Balls) - ""After eating this bowl of sticky rice balls, you are going to become one year older!"" This was how Tāng-Yuán was introduced to us at school. It is a specific food for a specific date in a year that we eat ...
3. Bá-Sī-Dì-Guā (Sugar-Coated Sweet Potato) - In Taiwan, we give meanings to many foods. Those meanings are given in various logics, sometimes according to its shape, the taste, or even how the food is pronounced. Sitting for already more than 2 hours, when ...